Monday, April 6, 2009

Keeneland / Weekend in Lexington

I went to the horse track with a bunch of friends, and here are a few pics. This one is a classmate of mine. I took this picture through a pair of rose-colored sunglasses, and it kinda looks like they're from the 70's.
The crowds at the track were crazy.
They brought around the horses before the race so you could analyze the horses and pick your winner.
Jockeys are celebrities in Lexington.
We went for a drive in the country to see the horses in their "natural habitat." This one came running up to the fence to say hi. He had an engraved plate on his bridle that gave his name as Storm Treasure, descendant of Secretariat, Kentucky Derby contestant, and very valuable stud.

He started running around, obviously showing off. It was amazing how big and fast he was. Scroll through the pictures below to get a flip-book effect.




Then we visited Henry Clay's House.

2 comments:

Mattso said...

Cool pictures Tommy!

Dana Cheryl said...

Hi Gessels!

OK I've started visiting your blog on a regular basis to see pictures of my home state! How sad is that? The KY girl has to go to a WA-based blog to see home. lol!

Little known fact... I've picked the KY Derby Winner 8 times! Keeneland isn't as famous as Churchhill Downs but it's my favorite track. So many fun memories! I flippin' cried looking at the pictures. This UT winter is getting to me. I miss green grass. (I can't believe I used the word flippin' either.)

Thanks for letting me crash the blog! :) Hope to see ya'll at the mission reunion or in KY if any of ya'll visit over the summer. I'll be home for a month or so.